Southampton Airport Disabled Facilities
Facilities for those that require Special Assistance
Southampton Airport is all located on one level making access easy for all travelling passengers.
Facilities for those travelling with a disability include:
- Lifts to the second floor (Departure lounge).
- Induction loops amplify announcements or conversations for passengers wearing hearing aids.
- Payphones are located at low level and are adapted for hearing aids
- Text pay phones available in the main concourse and the departures lounge.
- All airport directional signage is black on yellow to provide optimum contrast for the visually impaired
- Unisex accessible toilets are provided on the main concourse and within the departures lounge.
- Reserved seating areas are available for special needs passengers with space for wheelchairs, arm rests and induction loops
- Clearly signed blue badge parking is available in the Short Stay car park located close to terminal access route
For further help or advice concerning your travel arrangements please contact the airport information desk on +44 (0)844 481 7777.
Tips for Disabled Air Passengers
You should compare the arrangements offered by different airlines before making your booking and be sure to check whether the cost of any special assistance is included in the price of your ticket.
Inform your airline of your particular needs in good time and check the policy of your airline if you wish to remain in your own wheelchair to the aircraft door rather than transfer to an airline wheelchair at check-in.
Remember that there are often long walking distances within airports and that this may cause you to require assistance. Pre-arranging any necessary assistance will ensure that it’s available and that no time is lost in waiting for it to be arranged once you arrive at the airport.
Special equipment can be used to assist getting on and off the aircraft. It is advised to let the airport know in advance before getting on the flight in order to confirm that special assistance will be on hand.